Get me outta here!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Turn-Offs

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. For more info about the meme and how to participate, click here.

Top 10 Book Turn-Offs

1. Grammar mistakes 
It's just annoying and distracting to encounter grammar mistakes while reading.
2. Spelling mistakes
The same reason as above.
3. Repeating the same words over and over again
Reading the same words or expressions all the time makes for a boring reading experience.
4. Weird storylines that don't add up 
If a story doesn't make sense, a book has definitely failed. 5. Animal cruelty
Obviously I don't mean books like Eating Animals for example because in that case I know what I'm expecting but I mean just regular fiction with animal cruelty that makes no sense.
6. Insta-love
Characters falling in love immediately and then becoming the kind of couple that has been together for ages are just too unrealistic for my taste. There are cases where the insta-love is done quite well
7. Forced love triangles
I don't mind a love triangle all the time but if it's forced and only around to create some drama, I'm out. Besides it's something that has done too many times.
8. Characters that are too mature for their age
Characters that seem to be way beyond their actual age, or living in a situation that is not realistic; it's all fine as long as there's a valid reason for their situation or their behavior and I guess to a certain extent I can deal with it in dystopian novels because the world is different but if it's a contemporary novel it's just weird.
9. Addressing the reader directly
It can work in certain cases and when well done but most of the time, it just doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
10. Random italics
I don't know why some writers seem to think that italics are needed to make certain things clear, I can roll with it though as long as there is consistency. I have read books where italics just randomly appeared without any sense.

2 comments:

  1. I especially like #8! I don't see that mentioned very often, but I agree. Not enough characters sound like real teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, as I said in some cases it feels okay but a lot of times it's just weird! And it's strange because these books are obviously written for teenagers...

      Delete